- makeinfo / texinfo
- ncurses (install libncurses5-dev on Ubuntu etc)
- libelf / elfutils
- zlib (zlib1g-dev on Ubuntu)
- libgmp (libgmp-dev on Ubuntu)
- OpenSSL (libssl-dev on Ubuntu)
- Python 2.x
- nvidia-cg-toolkit (optional: for vertex shaders) http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cg_toolkit.html
Use your package manager to install everything required. Debian systems often need the -dev version of each package.
- If you are installing on a system and you do not have root access to the admin will have to do this command for you and you may need to install the binaries into your home directory - see the next section for instructions
On Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu (10.04/Lucid) and possibly other Debian based systems you may type
sudo apt-get install autoconf automake bison flex texinfo libncurses5-dev gcc g++ make wget libelf-dev \
python2.6-dev python-dev zlib1g-dev libtool git-core libgmp3-dev libssl-dev pkg-config bzip2
- libelf-dev confirmed working on debian squeeze @ 10. January 2012
- Libelf-dev is broken in Debian Lenny and Ubuntu Jaunty. These instructions work for both platforms.
- You need to execute the apt-get line above (you may omit libelf-dev to save some download time) and then install a newer version.
- The dpkg command will require root (admin) access
sudo dpkg -i libelf-dev_0.148-1_amd64.deb libelf1_0.148-1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i libelf-dev_0.148-1_i386.deb libelf1_0.148-1_i386.deb
Set up your environment
You need some environment variables to build and use PSL1GHT. (as root)
echo 'export PS3DEV=/usr/local/ps3dev' >> ~/.bashrc
echo 'export PSL1GHT=$PS3DEV/libpsl1ght' >> ~/.bashrc
echo 'export PATH="$PATH:$PS3DEV/bin:$PS3DEV/ppu/bin:$PS3DEV/spu/bin"' >> ~/.bashrc
- PS3DEV is where you will install everything
- To install in your home directory set it to ~/ps3dev
- You'll need more than 256MB ram to compile everything
Make the target directory
sudo mkdir $PS3DEV
sudo chown $USER $PS3DEV
Create a directory to build everything.
- The build directory can be anywhere you have space, it will require about 2.3G when everything is fully built
- Since the freetype2.3.4 script download link is dead (it runs while compiling the toolchain),
I have modified a bit two scripts from the toolchain to use an already download file,
instead of downloading from the net. [xerpi]
- Here the download of the toolchain with freetype2.3.4 predownloaded.
(it would be better to modify the scripts from the git repository)
Now build the toolchain. This takes a long time even on fast systems
- If you need to save some space you can remove the build directories (3G)
- Removing the build directory will make updating the tools take longer because you will have to download again
- This also removes the samples, see the next step to copy them first if you want to keep them
sudo rm -rf $BUILDDIR
- You only need to do this if you installed outside your home directory, such as the default locations
sudo chown -R root:root $PS3DEV $BUILDDIR /usr/src/psl1ght
Test your install
A quick test can be accomplished by compiling the samples.
cp -r $BUILDDIR/build/psl1ght/samples ~/ps3dev